Sunday, July 31, 2011

Breeders Vs Puppy Mills

Where to begin?? Breeders have been long time accused and taken for Puppy Mills and now as a pet owner  you are only a reputable person of you rescue or buy a dog from a shelter. This I challenge.

There is a great difference between A Puppy Mill and a responsible breeder.  Breeders,who only try to improve the standards of there chosen breed and to breed out the indifference's and weakness. These dedicated people have a tremendous love and concern for there breed and have dedicated themselves to up hold the highest standards in perfecting a well balanced beautiful healthy puppy.

Most breeders have a select list  they sell to for reason to Finish off there off off springs so there champion lines may continue and those that do not fall into this category are sold to wonderful safe and loving homes as pets. These responsible breeder usually breed only once a year or less depending on there goals. Puppies that are sol;d as pets to a family usually have a Spay and Neuter Contract and most owners follow the contracts .
Puppies you buy from these breeders have had there bitch and sire tested for diseases that may develop especially in your large breed dogs. Usually the test will have includes Hip, Elbows, Eyes, Thyroid, Skin and the list goes on. Now some breeders even considered Bloat genetic and ask owners to report any bloat in there dogs as certain studies are claiming and  being regarded as genetic. However, they still have no guaranteed reason for this occurrence.

Most important a well established breeder has he Bitch or Both parents  in there Kennel and when going to pick your puppy you can see that the grounds are clean and dogs are healthy well groomed  free of ticks and fleas and all well bred Puppies have been to the vet and a certificate and guarantee comes with the dog. Usually a good breeder waits about 3-4 months before letting the pups go and some the ones that are still with the breeders if older usually are crate trained and walk on a leash very well .

Lets talk about Puppies Mills.This amazes me that people still buy and support this These are not breeders and should be punished by the law.
How would you  know if your puppy is from a puppy mill to me this is not hard to figure out.
 If you did not go to the site where your puppy was born. Did not see the parents. Did not see the lines of championship of there family tree and have the proof by looking on line with the AKC and UKC Did not see the grounds where the Dogs and Puppies resign. Do not have the proof of genetic testing on both parents. Then I would question and red flags would go up.A health Cert. does not cut it with me I want more proof.

Puppy Mills are mostly found in Amish Country but that dies not rule out back yard breeding or the person who wants to make a quick buck.The conditions to the dogs are cruel and UN speakable. I can't even understand why a person would want a puppy from this enviorment. I can hardly stand to look or view the pictures. it more then heart breaking it is painful.
Laws are being past to stop and punish those who harbour and run facilities such as these but it is not happening fast enough. The law should also include the stop of Pet Stores to purchase and sell puppies as this is the hear beat to most Puppy Mills. Also it fall on the responsibility to all of us the consumer and pet owner STOP BUYING FROM PET STORES OR BACK YARD BREEDERS the buck stops with you and I. Be a responsible pet owner do your home work know who you are buying from ask questions and report cruel and UN healthy conditions.Know what you want in your breed and take your time in finding the right breeder. If you are not showing your dog SPAY & NEUTER your pooch be smart and wise.

The most important factor in the whole scheme of things is to love and take care of your pooch if you are doubtful you can truly care for this little one then please wait until you are the shelters are filled with bad deciouse from folks who where not sure.

I hope I have cleared  up some of the controversy of a Breeder vs Puppy Mills as you can see there is no comparison

Here is the Ten Commandments that I found off a website against Puppy Mills in Amish Country in Ohio

Ten Commandments of Animals

1) My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you will be painful to me. Remember that before you bring me home.
2) Give me time to understand what you want from me.
3) Place your trust in me - it's crucial to my well being.
4) Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You may have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I have only you.
5) Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice.
6) Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget.
7) Remember that before you hit me that I have teeth that can crush the bones in your hand. Yet I choose not to bite you.
8) Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, or I've been in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak.
9) Take care of me when I get old. You too, will grow old.

No comments: